Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Update!

Well, haven't written in this for a little while, sorry about that! I find that's the case with blogs sometimes--you update them rigorously and then fall off after a little while. Anyway, figure I'll take a little time to just update you on where I've been going and what I've been doing:

-Still having a great time in school. Today was one of the best days I've had in class so far actually. Usually Wednesday is a little "anstrengend" as the Germans would put it, cause I spend the entire day working with 7'th and 8'th graders (which, believe me, is no walk in the park). When you get down to it they're actually some of the most interesting students to teach--watching them make those first steps into teenagerdom is really fascinating--but, of course, the crazy changes happening in their brains makes them a little uncontrollable sometimes. Today, though, they were all just absolutely wonderful, and even when they weren't I was able to get things in control quickly. I know I've had a really good day in school when I leave the school singing, and from the faculty room all the way to the bus stop I was humming the Super Mario 2 theme to myself.

-Little bummed that I don't get to spend Thanksgiving in America, but me and a few of the other American Fulbrighters are all planning a dinner for tomorrow night. It will certainly be interesting to see what four guys in a kitchen will be able to come up with, hopefully it'll all turn out according to plan.

-The Weihnachtsmärkte (Christmas Markets) just opened up this week! The Weihnachtsmärkte are these booths they set up in big public areas in German cities, which are all made out of wood and roofed with pine boughs and strung up with lights and made to look pretty. The people in the booths sell all sorts of quaint old fashioned craft stuff, hats and gloves, candles, incense, Glühwein (spiced wine, served hot), bratwurst, and lots of other things. I bought a really awesome leather journal on Monday, and in about 20 minutes I'm meeting up with the Spaniards and some of the French to check out the Market by City Hall. Think I'll try to get myself a nice set of gloves, it's getting kinda cold!

-And, finally, traveling to Cologne this weekend to visit my friend Ally! We both graduated from IC this year, and she's doing a research grant down at the university in Cologne. We've been saying that we're going to visit each other for a while now, but we're just getting around to it now.

1 comment:

  1. Just bought a new pair of gloves myself. Nice lined leather, not warm enough for skiing but just the thing to get around town. And, also just in time. Kim and I were coming back from Pocatello yesterday, you know its cold when the heater is on in the car and the rear windows are still frosting! Eegads. Head for the down. Have a great time in Cologne.

    ReplyDelete