Friday, October 22, 2010

New digs

After four weeks of concerted effort, about a hundred emails, a few botched roommate tryouts and little success, I finally found a permanent place of residence a couple weeks ago. And it has been such an enormous relief. Simply having a place to yourself--where you can have a sense of permanence and stability--is a really important thing, and something that I took very much for granted before coming here. My first month in Hamburg was full of ups and downs, and feeling rootless and really hard-pressed to find a room in a short period of time heightened my adjustment period troubles significantly.

But I finally have something! And that is a wonderful thing. There's a teacher at a different school who has a couple extra rooms with a living room and bathroom in the top floor of her house that she usually rents to teaching assistants and Fulbright grantees. Finding it completely impossible to land a room in a normal apartment I decided to take her up on it. The place is down in Wilhelmsburg, which is a big island right in the middle of the Elbe, which flows to the south of Hamburg. It's pretty cheap, furnished, and, you know, it's a place to keep all of my stuff, so I'm feeling satisfied with the decision. The only thing is that it takes me upwards of an hour to get to my school, which really sucks when you have to be there by eight in the morning, but I'm making it work. Every Monday and Wednesday I've decided that I'm going to read on the train, and every Tuesday and Thursday I'm going to write.

I've got a roommate too, Loic from France, who is a French teaching assistant at a different school. So far he's been good company, and it's pretty boring living by yourself, so I've appreciated having him around.



Old room at Gesche and Manfred's.


New room!


Living room area.

3 comments:

  1. Excellent space, and I really like the real wood floors. Good plan to alternate reading and writing on your way to the school each day. I rode the bus to work for a while and ended up really appreciating the time to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I had a roommate. But I'm glad I live pretty close to my schools. Especially because there aren't buses or trains out here. Looks like a great place and sounds like a pretty nice situation! I look forward to hopefully visiting! haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first time I was in France was terrible, well, as terrible as being in France can be! I was just down the street from my school but I feel your pain. It was my first time living by myself and I hated it! My room looked so bare that I actually used my bookcase as a dresser lol. It made me feel better to be able to SEE things. My room was quite nice. (Vaulted ceilings, wood floors, a desk, a bed, and a mini fridge, and a sink (not a bathroom and a shower, just a plain sink) in my room) Anyways, I was craving English so badly I actually got out my “lets go France” and found an English book store! The book I ended up getting was on a little on sale cart outside the store and it was CHEEP. It was a terrible book in retrospect but it did the trick. It was a VERY sappy romance novel called “the Duke’s gamble.” I saved it not because I like the book, but because it has fond memories attached to it!

    The second time was a lot better. I convinced my friend from CSU to come and we did everything together (except sleep and shower together). Plus I took my computer and several movies in English. The only unfortunate part about it was that my FRIEND wound up with a crush of me. So I nicely explained that if you didn’t have a crush on the person you were spending 24/7 with you were not normal. Anyways, the second time around I had the guts to not hurry home (being single helped) and I actually went to Florence by myself! My Belgium friend (who I met in my hostel) noticed that whenever I got a bit nervous I would switch over to French immediately, which of course she could understand, so it was not really a problem.
    From my hostel bar you could see Brunelleschi’s dome! I felt like such an art history nerd. I was not going up there to drink, but to see the dome! That’s ok though because I met a Frenchman and his brother and a Canadian and his friend, and I was so happy to speak French . . .even if the Frenchman was. . .French (aka a total ass), but they bought me drinks lol. That’s right, I will shamelessly use men to get me drinks, that hostel bar was expensive! The other great thing about Florence was the covered market with every kind of dried fruit imaginable and the pesto!

    Anyways, I hope you like your new place and I hope you are good!

    ReplyDelete